Level 7 Diploma in Accounting and Finance
The Level 7 Diploma in Accounting and Finance qualification is designed for learners with relevant experience, and/or qualifications the knowledge and skills they need work in the fields of accounting and finance. For those learners that have prior experience in accounting and finance and who also possess a professional qualification, the pathway through this programme will develop their professional competence.
The qualification enables learners to develop knowledge and understanding of accounting and finance within wider organisational contexts in addition to applying technical and specialist skills to a range of contexts within which they operate.
Learner must fulfil at least one of the following criteria to be allowed entry to the qualification:
Possession of an honours degree in related subject or UK level 6 diploma or an equivalent overseas qualification
Mature learners (over 21) with management experience (learners must check with the delivery centre regarding this experience prior to registering for the programme)
English requirements: If the learner is not from a majority English-speaking country, they must provide evidence of English language competency. For more information visit English language expectations page.
OTHM Level 7 Diploma in Accounting and Finance programmes consists of the following 6 mandatory units that provide a total of 120 credits:
- Investment Analysis (20 credits): allows learners to gain a working knowledge and understanding of investment theories and market equilibrium models; study of this unit will allow learners to perform bond valuations and evaluate current performance; gain skills to critically assess the cause and effect of the impact of developments on the world’s capital market; learners will be able to make effective recommendations for further improvement
- Corporate Social Responsibility and Governance (20 credits): allows learners to gain an in depth understanding of Corporate Social Responsibility and Corporate Governance; learners will consider the various ways that businesses and financial institutions need to operate to ensure that society accepts their processes and procedures; learners will gain an understanding of the importance of acting in such a way that ethical codes and practices are followed and individual dignity is enhanced; learners will understand the skills required to deal appropriately with governing authorities in the private, public and charitable sectors
- Global Finance and Strategy (20 credits): allows learners to gain appreciation and understanding of the types of decisions that need to be taken when entering global markets; learners will gain an understanding of independence in solving financial issues within a specific period of time is vital for business success
- Strategic Financial Management (20 credits): provides learners with knowledge and understanding relating to planning the usage and management of a business organisation’s financial resources; learners will understand the importance of attaining business objectives and maximizing shareholder return; learners will gain a working knowledge of business strategy design and the production of comprehensive business plans
- Strategic Audit (20 credits): allows learners to achieve knowledge and understanding of how managers can position and execute business strategy appropriately; involve an in-depth study of the strategic auditing process and related procedures; learners will be able to understand and apply suitable investigative techniques to both positive and negative environments
- Corporate Reporting (20 credits): enables learners to prepare and interpret the financial statements for a range of business organisations; enables learners to apply relevant accounting concepts and principles; provides an opportunity for learners to enhance their quantitative and qualitative analytical skills, through the interpretation of financial data
Duration and Delivery
The qualification is designed to be delivered over one academic year for full-time study but it is also flexible in its delivery in order to accommodate part-time and distance learning.
The qualification is delivered face-to-face, through lectures, tutorials, seminars, distance, online by approved centres only.
Assessment and Verification
All units within this qualification are internally assessed by the centre and verified by OTHM. The qualifications are criterion referenced, based on the achievement of all the specified learning outcomes.
To achieve a ‘pass’ for a unit, a learner must have successfully passed all learning outcomes for that unit.
The Assessor should provide an audit trail showing how the judgement of the Learner’s overall achievement has been arrived at.
Passing the OTHM Level 7 Diploma in Accounting & Finance enables learners to progress into or within employment and/or continue their further study. OTHM has progression arrangement with a number of UK universities that acknowledges the ability of learners after studying Level 7 qualifications to be considered for advanced entry into masters top-up programmes.