OTHM Level 7 Diploma in Strategic Management and Leadership
The OTHM Level 7 Diploma in Strategic Management and Leadership programme is designed for managers who have the authority and personal inspiration to translate organisational strategy into effective operational performance. The qualification requires managers to build on their strategic management and leadership skills and to focus on the requirements of implementing the organisation’s strategy.
The Level 7 Diploma in Strategic Management and Leadership has been developed to produce graduates with skills to understand the business environment in which they operate and to align good strategic decision making to maintain their organisations competitive advantage. To achieve this learners learn through an integrated approach of theory and practice using real-time activities. Successful completion of this diploma will enable learners to build on their strategic management and leadership skills and to focus on the requirements of implementing the organisation’s strategy.
Learner must fulfil at least one of the following criteria to be allowed entry to the qualification:
Possession of an honours degree in related subject or UK level 6 diploma or an equivalent overseas qualification
Mature learners (over 21) with management experience (learners must check with the delivery centre regarding this experience prior to registering for the programme)
English requirements: If the learner is not from a majority English-speaking country, they must provide evidence of English language competency. For more information visit English language expectations page.
Learners need to complete all 4 mandatory units and any 4 from optional units that provide a combined total of 120 credits:
- Professional Development and Communication Skills (15 credits): provides learners with the methods and techniques to assess the development of their own skills using continuous professional development in order to support their personal and professional goals; develops professional skills including communication, academic writing, presentation, leadership, use of information technology, preparing curriculum vitae and continuous professional development
- Strategic Management (15 credits): examine the principles of strategy and change management and provide learners with a critical understanding and ability to use various models of the strategy and change management process and the analysis of internal external environmental and resource variables.
Strategic Human Resource Management and Organisational Behaviour (15 credits): provides understanding of how the effective strategic management of human resources supports the achievement of organisational purposes in different organisational contexts; seeks to analyse and evaluate the contribution of human resource management to competitive advantage and organisational strategy.
Advanced Business Research Methods (15 credits): carry out various types of academically based management research through the design of a research proposal; involves the development of a critical understanding of the philosophical, practical and ethical concepts of research within the context of the business environment.
Optional Units (Choose any FOUR)
- Strategic Financial Management (15 credits): provides the learner with the skills to apply financial principles relevant to management in an organisational context; analyse with concepts, principles, analytical techniques and theories/models of management accounting; make learners able to learn, evaluate and apply existing strategic financial and managerial accounting.
- Supply Chain and Operations Management (15 credits): provide knowledge and understanding of concepts, factors and process of effective supply chain and operations management in competitive marketplaces and to allow learners learn through teaching techniques that are mostly interactive and innovative with case studies, real world scenario and industry led experiences; learner learn concepts and models covering the fundamentals and strategic aspects that enable learners to develop an understanding of operational processes, techniques, planning and control systems.
- Enterprise and Entrepreneurship (15 credits): outline the basics of business processes and strategies related to enterprise and entrepreneurship; to develop knowledge in enterprise and entrepreneurship in global contexts; develop learners’ awareness, academic soundness and practical skills surrounding the process of entrepreneurship and enterprise.
- Business Law, Ethics and Corporate Social Responsibility (15 credits): provides an understanding of the effect of legislation, ethics, and global integration on decisions, corporate governance, policies, processes and activities undertaken by organisations.
- Strategic Change Management (15 credits): provides knowledge and understanding of classic and contemporary theories change management and their applicability to contemporary organisations in the globalised world, with the identification and use of change models personal characteristics of change agent or leadership skills, and their evaluation and development, to meet current and future change management roles.
- Strategic Marketing (15 credits): develop a critical understanding of concepts, methods and technical aspects of strategic marketing, the challenges associated with marketing in today’s business environment; identifies an organisation’s strategic marketing goals and explains how they will be achieved, ideally within a designated timeframe.
- Globalisation & Marketing Strategy (15 credits): provides knowledge and understanding on the global business environment, issues facing contemporary organisations in the globalised world, with the identification and use of global marketing strategies and the strategic moves of entering international markets utilising design and innovation; strategies of adaptations vs standardisation of marketing mix and segmentations; the importance of patenting ideas, design registration, trademarking and intellectual property on new products and services.
Duration and Delivery
The qualification is designed to be delivered over one academic year for full-time study but it is also flexible in its delivery in order to accommodate part-time and distance learning.
The qualification is delivered face-to-face, through lectures, tutorials, seminars, distance, online by approved centres only.
Assessment and Verification
All units within this qualification are internally assessed by the centre and verified by OTHM. The qualifications are criterion referenced, based on the achievement of all the specified learning outcomes.
To achieve a ‘pass’ for a unit, a learner must have successfully passed all learning outcomes for that unit.
The Assessor should provide an audit trail showing how the judgement of the Learner’s overall achievement has been arrived at.
Passing the OTHM Level 7 Diploma in Strategic Management and Leadership enables learners to progress into or within employment and/or continue their further study. OTHM has progression arrangement with a number of UK universities that acknowledges the ability of learners after studying Level 7 qualifications to be considered for advanced entry into masters top-up programmes.