Level 4 Diploma in Business Information Technology (L4DBIT)
The Level 4 Diploma in Business Information Technology (RQF) (L4DBIT) makes up the first year of the NCC Education degree journey. The qualification is equivalent to the first year of an IT degree in the UK university system.
Students will be given the opportunity to develop essential thinking and study skills in IT and business through a balance of academic and vocational subjects. They will be able to contribute to the development of computer systems and networks, databases and websites in a business context, whilst also developing an awareness of business needs. The qualification will allow them to understand and enter the IT and business profession with the necessary knowledge expected within the industry and the ability to apply the skills to a range of IT-related functions.
On successful completion of the qualification students will be able to embark on NCC Education’s Level 5 Diploma in Business Information Technology (RQF) (L5DBIT), which is equivalent to the second year of a UK Bachelor’s degree, transfer to a university or pursue a career in the IT industry.
Students must study the following eight core units:
- Skills for Computing – This module provides essential skills required by computing students. The skills taught include study, presentation, report-writing and data handling skills. It will prepare students for successful outcomes in their studies and provide them with skills that can be applied in the workplace.
- Computer Networks – This module helps students to develop a good understanding of basic theory and useful practical skills of networking and communication that are vital in today’s connected world.
- Computer Systems – This module addresses the development of practical skills in the configuration, maintenance, fault finding and trouble-shooting of modern computer systems and develops knowledge of computer architecture.
- Designing and Developing a Website – This module provides students with the practical skills required in website design such as understanding of markup languages, style sheets, design techniques and testing.
- Databases – This module provides students with thorough training in practical techniques for the design and development of database systems and develops a sound understanding of the underpinning theory.
- eBusiness – This module gives students the opportunity to examine how organisations can use all aspects of eBusiness to create new products and services, reduce the cost of existing business processes and improve the efficiency of their operations using typical revenue models.
- Essentials of Management – This module covers the principles and functions of management, teaching students the key elements in planning and decision making and the significance of different controls required in an organisation.
- Understanding Business Organisations -This module provides an introduction to the objectives, roles, functions and various forms of business organisation as they adapt to a dynamic and changing environment and also considers information and technology in regards to efficiency and performance.