Level 6 Diploma in Business Management
The OTHM Level 6 Diploma in Business Management programme allows learners to acquire knowledge and understanding in a range of topics and to develop key skills they require to work in Business Management roles. This is done through a substantial core of mandatory units. The core content of this qualification is for those entering a strategic level of management with a key emphasis on developing an understanding of the research skills and personal development expected of a senior manager which will enable them to progress to higher level general management or specialised business programmes at a later stage in their business or academic careers.
Learner must fulfil at least one of the following criteria to be allowed entry to the qualification:
Possession of a UK level 5 diploma in related subject or an equivalent overseas qualification
Mature learners (over 21) with relevant work experience (learners must check with the delivery centre regarding this experience prior to registering for the programme)
English requirements: If the learner is not from a majority English-speaking country, they must provide evidence of English language competency. For more information visit English language expectations page.
OTHM Level 6 Diploma in Business Management consists of the following 6 mandatory units that provide a total of 120 credits:
- Leadership and Organisational Behaviour (20 credits): enable learners to understand theories of leadership and management and how to use leadership and management skills to improve motivation and performance; explore the basic theories that describe how employees and employers understand their roles and interactions in the organisational settings, and how these assumptions determine how they structure their relationships.
- Operations Management (20 credits): provide learners with an understanding of the production / operations management function in both manufacturing and service industries and to introduce key issues and techniques in operations management.
- Financial Decision Making (20 credits): demonstrates the links between business decision making, risk assessment and financial information; depicts how businesses are financed through their fixed and working capital requirements and explains how the financial management of each organisation is influenced by its governance and ownership structure.
- Sustainable Business Practices (20 credits): raise awareness of sustainable development issues and how they impact on the strategic development of the business; learners will be expected to demonstrate their understanding of sustainability and its effect on business organisations.
- Strategic Human Resource Management (20 credits): develop students’ knowledge of competing and contrasting perspectives of strategic HRM; enhance the knowledge and understanding of debates concerning HRM strategies and practices, their contribution to organisation and employee performance and the problems and complexities around operationalising a strategic HRM within different types of organisations and to explore the implications for HRM practitioners
- Business Project (20 credits): develop the skills required to produce a research question and carry out independent research using appropriate research techniques; enable the learner to analyse research findings, evaluate research methodology used and present findings.
Duration and Delivery
The qualification is designed to be delivered over one academic year for full-time study but it is also flexible in its delivery in order to accommodate part-time and distance learning.
The qualification is delivered face-to-face, through lectures, tutorials, seminars, distance, online by approved centres only.
Assessment and Verification
All units within this qualification are internally assessed by the centre and verified by OTHM. The qualifications are criterion referenced, based on the achievement of all the specified learning outcomes.
To achieve a ‘pass’ for a unit, a learner must have successfully passed all learning outcomes for that unit.
The Assessor should provide an audit trail showing how the judgement of the learner’s overall achievement has been arrived at.
Upon successful completion of OTHM Level 6 Diploma in Business Management qualification, learners may progress to:
- An OTHM Level 7 Diploma within the relevant academic discipline
- A postgraduate degree programme at UK universities
- Employment in Business or related sectors
- Relevant postgraduate professional programmes